Saturday, March 31, 2012

Stitch, stitch, stitch

There has been some knitting and stitching going on here in the evenings.  I have been working on the sleeves of the flax colored sweater a bit.  At night I am usually so tired and brain fried that I needed something simple, the sleeves are mostly stockinette stitch.  Easy peasy.

But, mostly I have been back at the Whimsical Garden blocks.  They are so much fun, how can I resist?


This block was kind of different.  I wanted the pink and turquoise flowers to pop and also wanted the basket to take a back seat.  I finally found this print.  Loved it and I think it works.


This fabric is so much fun by itself.  I had ordered the backgrounds from Piece'o'Cake and this was one of the best.  I had chosen a white with blue circles on it for the bird, but didn't like that when I got it sewn on, so changed to this.  The birds look better in a color with a print rather than the opposite.


Quite a few of these blocks have elements that sneak over into the borders that will be added.  It will be fun to do these borders.  They are more like picture frames with a 1/4 inch mock-piping next to the block.  I haven't decided which colors to use yet.  In the pattern, they suggested a gold/yellow next to the block and then different greens for the frames.  I don't know yet.  :>)

I did pick up some new fabrics for the other older version of the civil war series so might be back to that someday too.  So many fun things to work on and not much time.  When this job is over around the end of this year I will work part time if I decide to work very much at all.  Burned out?  yeah.  There is a Phase II to this project and don't know yet what's going  happen as far as people needed for that.  I guess I will find out.  Don't know if I will be interested or offered anything.  If I do work that, it will end the same year I can retire and not work anymore.  Something to think about.

I have also been spinning!  It's been awhile but am finally getting to the pile of fiber in the living room that has to be spun and not hidden away in the stash downstairs.  My imposed rule.  What I have been spinning is a pink/purple/orange alpaca that came from Altamist Alpacas.  I was thinking that I had too much of it, but as it turns out is easy to spin.  I have one bobbin done and am working on the second one.  All this using the Louet bobbins that hold 8 ounces.  :>)  Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my desire to spin?  stomach?  ha!


A bit blurry, but you get the idea.  Really pretty, it will be fun to ply it and then make some fingerless mitts to keep my hands warm at work.  The fiber:


Pretty eh?

The wind is really blasting today.  It's also very warm out there. Supposed to be in the 80's.  Ugh, too soon I say for that heat.  A good day to stay inside and just play.  I am headed to the sewing machine to work on some civil war blocks.  I still have 3 more months to get done and then the never ending border of blocks (68 of them, yeah, 68 12 inch blocks).  


Party on friends.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment